For updates on websites that are of professional value in aspects of SEN teaching.
If you would like to include a 'Useful Link' in this section please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Autism Education Trust
• AET is dedicated to co-ordinating and improving education support for all children on the autism spectrum in England.
British Institute of Learning DisabilitiesCBebbies - Something Special
• Bild are committed to improving the quality of life for people with learning disabilities. Their vision is a world where people with learning disabilities are accepted as equal citizens with the potential to make a positive contribution to our communities.
The SLD Experience - Promoting good practice - Journal from Bild
• The SLD Experience is aimed at parents and practitioners working with and caring for children and young people with severe learning difficulties in mainstream and special schools.
• Cool site featuring games, songs and stories specifically aimed at children with learning difficulties. It also utilises the Makaton sign and symbol system.
Curious Cargo is a package of many delights... a performance and visual arts company creating:
• Shows for indoor and conventional settings.
• Workshops and training for community, education and corporate settings.
• Commissions to make: puppets, masks, props etc..
Department for Education
• The Department for Education is responsible for education and children’s services. Find out about the academies programme which provides schools with greater freedoms to innovate and raise standards.
Every Child Matters
Alignment of EQUALS Schemes of Work against the five ECM learning outcomes.
• The EQUALS Schemes of Work (including the Moving On one year programmes; Adventurer, Explorer and Traveller, Literacy and Numeracy and Key Skills Accreditation) have been aligned against the five Every Child Learning outcomes.
The Hextol Foundation HEADS, Education and Development Services, Hadrian School, Newcastle upon Tyne.
• To improve the lives of people with disabilities, and who may have other advantages by creating employment opportunities, providing education and training and developing other charitable forms of support as required.
• Facilitates regional training and hosts conferences and workshops on a wide range of SEN related topics.
Everyone has a story to tell
• Interplay works across all art forms - theatre, film, music, visual arts, radio, literature - to engage children, young people and adults who feel excluded.
Mencap is a voice for learning disability. Everything Mencap does is about valuing and supporting people with a learning disability and their families and carers. Read more about what learning disability is. Find out about its causes and what it means for people with a learning disability.
NASEN – Helping Everyone Achieve
• An organisation aiming to promote the education, training, advancement and development of everyone with special and additional support needs.
• Ofsted inspects and regulates care for children and young people and inspects education and training for learners of all ages.
• PMLD Link Journal is written by, and for, families, carers, practitioners and researchers. It is the only regular publication devoted exclusively to the issues that matter to people with profound and multiple learning disabilities and those who support them. It’s packed with the most current practice, useful ideas, news and reviews, and all sorts of training and resources.
Priory Woods School
• An all age community special school situated in east Middlesbrough
Resources: here you can download a wide variety of material including worksheets, curriculum documents, lesson plans and simple programmes, which are free to adapt and use in your school, college or home.
Curriculum Area: here you will find lots of examples of our pupils from across all ages and levels of ability.
QCDA – Qualifications and Curriculum Development Agency
• The QCDA is at the heart of England’s education system. Their job is to develop the curriculum, improve and deliver assessments, and review and reform qualifications.
New from QCDA
Using P Scales to access pupils progress
Guidance for practioners and senior school leaders in schools
• What is it about? • What is it for? • How can we access these materials?
• The official UK body and international consultancy for Rebound Therapy with founder Eddy Anderson, MCSP Cert Ed. Responsible for the development and delivery of validated and certificated staff training courses.
Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB)
Supporting blind and partially sighted people
• RNIB offers support to education professionals working with blind and partially sighted learners from birth to 25, including those with complex needs.
Improving Quality of Life
• Designers of protective wear for children and adults.
• The SLD-forum is a discussion group for professionals involved in the education of learners with severe, profound and multiple learning difficulties. It is intended to provide a forum for the sharing of ideas, views and information and to encourage on-going professional development for practitioners, researchers and others concerned with the education of these learners.
• The Sherborne Association UK is a non-profit-making registered charity and part of an international organisation that is dedicated to maximising the abilities of all people with and without disabilities, through the medium of movement. It was formed to continue and promote the work of Veronica Sherborne. The Association runs courses to instruct interested people in the use of Sherborne Developmental Movement in appropriate settings, often working with people with learning difficulties. These courses are suitable for Teachers, Occupational Therapists, Physiotherapists, Care workers etc.
Special Kids In The UK
• Special kids in the UK is a charity for families who have a child of any age with special needs.
Student Associates Scheme – Turn your talent into teaching
• The Student Associates Schemes is for students interested in gaining classroom experience while pursuing their studies. The Student Associates Scheme gives you the chance to:
º discover what teaching is really like
º work alongside experienced teachers, and
º develop new skills
The Down’s syndrome Association
• Helping people with Down’s syndrome to live full and rewarding lives. They provide information and support for people with Down’s syndrome, their families and carers and the professionals who work with them.
Very Special Maths
Practical guidance for teaching Maths to pupils with very special needs
• Les Staves is an independent consultant in the teaching and learning of Maths for pupils with severe or complex learning difficulties. Les has written special Maths needs materials and provided training for the National Numeracy Strategy, the QCA and EQUALS.
Software Solutions for Inclusion
• Communicate: In Print templates and training materials on making your school or centre "communication friendly".
Williams Syndrome Foundation
• An organisation for individuals with Williams syndrome, their families and professionals needing support and information regarding the syndrome. Williams syndrome is a rare disorder. Like Downs syndrome it is caused by an abnormality in chromosomes, and shows a wide variation in abilities from person to person.